Beatles special from a few weeks ago

• Ken Ward
    almost 3 years ago

Okay, I just saw that tribute to the Beatles on my DVR. Outstanding (except for Katy Perry). Paul can still rock as hard as anyone (although I think he should consider lowering the keys by a full step), Ringo sings better at age 74 than he did in the 60's, what great backup musicians, playing an incredible body of work.

I did find Ringo's little dance when he sings a bit disconcerting, though...

• Elton D'Stenko
    almost 3 years ago

Well what would you do if you sang out of tune?

• Ken Ward
    almost 3 years ago

I'd stand up and walk out. I found Alicia Keys and John Legend's 2 piano duet on Let It Be wonderful. So refreshing to see popular musicians who are actually MUSICIANS. By contrast, Kanye West doesn't know music from his own ass. And, whatever Imagine Dragon is, never heard of them, beautiful 4 part harmony. There may be hope.

• Dana Rogers
    almost 3 years ago

Ken... Did you find out who the backing musicians were? I'm most interested in knowing who the drummer and keyboardist were.

???

• Ken Ward
    almost 3 years ago

The drummer when Paul performed was his standard drummer, last name "Laboriel". So I'm wondering if he is related to the incredible bassist Abraham Laboriel. I saw this guy play with Paul several years ago at a concert at the Toyota Center. A true Mofo. I liked the way that when Ringo played drums, he kept his eyes on Laboriel. I thought that Ringo played well, but Laboriel did all of the fills. I guess that's the only way a 2 drum set-up works. The other cats, well, I don't know who they were. But in terms of televised music, we haven't seen anything like that in a very long time.

And, even after 50 years, the McCartney/Lennon Songbook seems to be opening itself up to me more and more. For instance there are some Gershwin tunes that, even now, I'm just beginning to understand. Now, Bill and I are bringing in Beatles tunes, mostly the obscure ones like "For No One", I'll scribble out changes and say on the gig "Let's see where this goes", and they always seem to develop themselves. I think that the difference between the Beatles and other great rock and roll bands such as the Who, the Kinks, etc., is that the other guys played rock and roll, and the Beatles wrote and played songs. Beautiful songs.

• Ken Ward
    almost 3 years ago

The drummer when Paul performed was his standard drummer, last name "Laboriel". So I'm wondering if he is related to the incredible bassist Abraham Laboriel. I saw this guy play with Paul several years ago at a concert at the Toyota Center. A true Mofo. I liked the way that when Ringo played drums, he kept his eyes on Laboriel. I thought that Ringo played well, but Laboriel did all of the fills. I guess that's the only way a 2 drum set-up works. The other cats, well, I don't know who they were. But in terms of televised music, we haven't seen anything like that in a very long time.

And, even after 50 years, the McCartney/Lennon Songbook seems to be opening itself up to me more and more. For instance there are some Gershwin tunes that, even now, I'm just beginning to understand. Now, Bill and I are bringing in Beatles tunes, mostly the obscure ones like "For No One", I'll scribble out changes and say on the gig "Let's see where this goes", and they always seem to develop themselves. I think that the difference between the Beatles and other great rock and roll bands such as the Who, the Kinks, etc., is that the other guys played rock and roll, and the Beatles wrote and played songs. Beautiful songs.

• A **
    almost 3 years ago

Yes, that's Abe Jr, son of the famed bassist. He's a fantastic player. McCartney's band in general is excellent. I saw them last year in Houston. Five guys: drums, keys, guitar, bass, and Paul. Sounded like a BAND too, not just some guys backing a star. The keyboardist, Paul Wixens, is the MD and manages to cover every last horn/string/foley sound from those dense Beatles arrangements (I saw that he had his keyboards split into multiple zones for the various parts). The guitarist and bassist, like McCartney, switch instruments constantly. And they played almost three hours without a break.

House band on that CBS special included the great Greg Phillinganes on keyboards!

Here's the lineup: Kenny Aronoff (drums), Lenny Castro (percussion), Chris Caswell (keyboard), Peter Frampton (guitar), Rami Jaffe (organ), Steve Lukather (guitar), Greg Phillinganes (keyboard), Don Was (bass) and Judith Hill (backup singer)

• Henry Darragh
    almost 3 years ago

How does one catch this special? (I don't have cable)

• Ken Ward
    almost 3 years ago

Henry, I'm guessing it's online somewhere. Search using the word "Grammys", because it was made as some sort of Grammy special.

• Joe Muscara
    almost 3 years ago

It was broadcast on CBS. You can watch some official clips here.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/the-night-that-changed-america/

• Dana Rogers
    almost 3 years ago

Greg Phillinganes is on the most recent live Toto concert. Mindblowing DVD, considering the original vocalists are doing the singing. Steve Luthaker is with them, too.

• A **
    almost 3 years ago

I saw that! The whole thing is on YouTube now.

"reply" %>